Friday, August 6, 2010

French Toast Sticks!

Basic French Toast is super simple and surprisingly even the pickiest of eaters (see: my nephews) will eat it.

Ingredients (you might be surprised by one of these):
Eggs (for a batch of 8 slices I used 4 organic, free range, veggie fed eggs)
Splash (or 1/4 cup) of Almond Milk (but any milk will be fine)
Splash (or 1/4 cup) of Orange Juice (weird? but delicious)
Tiny splash of Vanilla Extract (I'd say a teaspoon)
Bread of your choice
Butter for the pan.
Organic Maple Syrup for topping
Peanut Butter (optional, delicious, protein based topping)



I mix the eggs, milk, o.j., and vanilla in a bowl. Pre-heat the cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add a small scoop of butter (I find it works better than oil, but coconut oil spray might work just as well) and let that melt. While the butter is melting dip the slice of bread in the egg mixture, flip to make sure you cover both sides completely with the mixture. Add it to the skillet and wait a few moments, flip and cook both sides evenly. I usually flip back and forth on both sides 2x just to make sure they're done, but once they've browned up they're ready! Set aside on a plate, cover with tin foil until all are done.



Once complete, I cut these slices into 1 inch thick strips, for dunk-ability purposes (I found the boys use less syrup if pre-poured in a small ramekin than if they were gifted the opportunity to pour it directly on to their toasts). I filled up a small ramekin with organic pure maple syrup. This stuff is scrumptious and not too bad for you. There's no high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. In fact, the only ingredient is "Organic pure maple syrup," which is what you want to look for when buying groceries- minimal ingredients and no fillers, preferably organic and better if you can buy it from someone local (unfortunately, Maple Syrup doesn't naturally occur in the desert).

I served the boys' French Toast Sticks with organic strawberries and low-fat whipped cream (without hydrogenated oil- available at whole foods). I think you can see from the image below they enjoy their breakfast. I ate mine topped with peanut butter and syrup and it was delicious, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment