Monday, August 9, 2010

Vegan Black Bean Burgers

I Found this recipe in my Vegetarian Times Cookbook and my husband made them for me. They turned out really well. So, I thought I'd share it, plus the necessary suggestions and modifications we made.

Ingredients:
*3 cups cooked black beans (about 1 1/2 cup dried bulk black beans, I cooked in slow cooker with about 3-4 cups of water for about 4 hours on low)
*2 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 cup dry rice and 2 cups water, only, I substituted the water with vegetable stock for more flavor)
*1 cup breadcrumbs
*Green onion to taste (about 1/4 cup recommended)
*garlic to taste
*chili powder to taste (we left it out, since baby gives me wicked heart burn)
*salt
*Pepper
*tablespoon Ketchup
*Water

*Whole wheat buns

*Tempah Crisps (I got the smoky bacon flavor ones)

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F if baking tempeh, OR you can also Sauté the strips like we did.

Combine beans, rice, breadcrumbs, green onions, chili powder, ketchup, salt and pepper in food processor, add water as necessary to get the right consistency (depending on the size of your food processor, you might want to split this into 2 batches, as ours had a hard time mixing evenly and my husband had to stop frequently to mix by hand and then process again). Form into 6-8 Patties and set aside.



Meanwhile, place Tempeh Crisps onto baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. OR sauté them on the stove top like you would with normal bacon. I like this option because it was better than heating up the whole house for 6 strips of "bacon."



In a Cast Iron skillet over medium heat, spray with coconut oil spray and add patties cooking for 5 minutes on each side or until heated through. Now is a good time to place the buns in a toaster oven and set it to "warm."



While you're cooking the burgers, set aside each one as its done or eat them as you go. Either way, you'll want to have your other toppings such as tomato, onion, lettuce, ketchup and mustard ready to go, that way when the burger is done all you have to do is top it with the Tempeh, and other favorite condiments.



I un-vegan-ed mine by adding cheese but you could also use a soy cheese product or omit cheese all together.

Happy Burger Making!


Just to be clear, this is NOT my recipe, even though we did modify it quite a bit. I did not get permission to publish this recipe and if necessary I will remove it, until then enjoy the freebie and seriously, if you don't own the book Vegetarian Times Cookbook, go get it- it has some GREAT recipes in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment