Monday, January 17, 2011

Quinoa Casserole

This is my FAVORITE dinner.  Husband makes it for us at least 2x a month.  I found out about Quinoa from my midwife while I was pregnant.  Did you know that Quinoa is the only full protein replacement grain? It has all 9 amino acids!

I almost forgot to take a picture of the finished dish, because it's so damn good! 
I started eating it before I took the picture.

What you'll need:
1 and 1/2 cup Quinoa (I buy mine from the bulk section)
9x13 inch glass baking dish
1 clove chopped garlic
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 onion diced
1 jar green chili enchilada sauce
1 can jar of organic pinto beans (buy Edan Organic- it's the only BPA free canned beans I know of, ps- I HATE pinto beans except for in this dish!)
pinch of cumin
dash of salt
some fresh oregano (I grow mine in the herb garden but you can used dried as well)
pinch of cayenne pepper
4 tortillas (we use whole grain Ezekiel brand)
small can of hatch chilies
4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese (optional)
4 oz Cheddar Cheese (optional)
1 bunch chopped cilantro


What you'll do with it:

Cook Quinoa 2 parts water 1 part Quinoa. set aside.

Saute over medium heat; garlic, scallions, onion, stirring occasionally.  Add enchilada sauce, pinto beans,cumin, salt, oregano, cayenne pepper; simmer for 5 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

Coat baking dish with oil, line with tortillas, top with sauteed mixture.  Cover with cooled quinoa and green chile.  Cover and bake for 25 minutes or until heated completely.  Sprinkle with shredded cheeses (or not if leaving vegan) and chopped cilantro.  Bake additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Adapted from Chef Corey Erwin of Sedona, Arizona
From the book; Vegetarian Southwest by Lon Walters

No comments:

Post a Comment