Thursday, June 2, 2011

D.I.Y. Paddle Cactus Sharing

My Friend Katie gave me some Paddle Cacti from her yard and I transplanted them in my yard.  And I'm going to tell you how to also...

If you're living in the desert this is a nice little trick, I assume most people know it, but if you don't, here's how it works.  You find a paddle cactus you like and you gently remove the top paddle(s).  You let the open "wounds" heal for a few days, this prevents diseases from killing your little transplants.  Then you dig a small hole and place at least half or more of the paddle into the ground.  Fill in the hole and drip feed the new transplants for a short time each day.  Once established, maybe a few weeks, you can stop watering altogether because as a native plant the cactus will continue to thrive with annual rainfall.  


See those white spots?  Katie was telling me that it's a larvae that is harvested in Mexico, once mushed a red ooze comes out and it's used as a dye.  Once this little guy is well established an a bit bigger I think I'll try scraping it off and dying some fabric or canvas with it. 


Thanks Katie!  Our front yard needed some filler and I LOVE native plants.

Happy Paddle Cactus Planting (if you're in the desert)!

No comments:

Post a Comment