Friday, September 5, 2014

Homemade Salsa Recipe by Jennifer Lind Schutsky

I LOVE salsa, like really love it, and the garlic and spicy is so good for you and your blood.  We eat a bowl a week.  I buy a bulk of tomatoes from them farmers market then prep it into salsa and marinara sauce for the week.  Here's how I make my salsa...

Ingredients {feel free to add more or less for spice}
THIS IS MEDIUM TO SPICY PORTIONS and it makes A LOT:
8-9 organic tomatoes
3-4 various peppers {including Jalapeño, Serrano and Anaheim}
6-8 cloves of garlic
1 organic red or white onion
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch of cilantro
fresh squeezed juice of one lime
optional 1-2 organic mangoes

Mix together as directed below, pulse in food processor, serve with chips.
I don't cut anything into tiny pieces, I just quarter or trim the larger items down so they fit into the food processor with the blade, then I pulse the blade.
I do it in sections, and above is the peppers, garlic and onions. 
See? just wash and put the whole tomato in there, pulse. 
and taa-daa! as you go just add the processed portions into the larger bowl.
Oh! and when you're cutting green onions save the ends, add to water and they will keep growing.
Here's the bowl of salsa.
Then, I took a ball jar full and froze it for another night. 

Now, if you want to get fancy you could add mango, which I always do!
Cutting a mango is weird, first cut one third off,
then, the other third
then, pick up one third and slice a grid system onto it, but do not cut through the skin,
now, invert it and those little chunks will pop right out.
I pulse them in the processor so I don't have to cut them itty bitty.
the center piece has the pit, so just cut around that as best you can and add any flesh you can get to the processor.
it won't be much but I like to get it ALL.
Then add that pulsed mango to the salsa and viola!
Get in my belly!





No comments:

Post a Comment