Friday, April 17, 2015

Functional Friday no. 37 Essential Oil of the week - LEMON

For this week's Functional Friday item I thought I would focus on Lemon oil and how I use it in my home...
One of the best recipes I've found to use for cleaning is this soft scrub bathroom cleaner made with castile soap and baking soda scented with lemon.

I also add a couple of drops of lemon to my vinegar and water mixture for mopping the floor.  My house has that lemon scent without the fake chemicals of most cleaners. I even got my ultra conventional mother cleaning with lemon, I mix it up for her and she brings me back the container to refill with vinegar and lemon before she mops.

I also add lemon to my diffuser if I want a fresh summer scent in the house.

For seasonal reactions I've heard of using lemon + lavender +peppermint in equal parts taken internally in a gel cap {I don't often use essential oils internally but if I know lots of people who do}

I love this natural dishwasher detergent recipe, utilizing lemon essential oil.

I will start using this more frequently once we get our wood floors installed, lemon is great for wood furniture polish and flooring, right now I just use it periodically on my wood shelves.

I also just found out that lemon oil is great for preserving leather furniture, so I'll be adding that to a wet rag and wiping down my couch.

From what I understand, one drop of lemon is equivalent to one whole lemon, so just a reminder less is more with essential oils!

Some of the listed benefits of lemon oil include:
• Cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces
• Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion
• Supports healthy respiratory function
• Promotes a positive mood and cognitive ability

Now for the warnings and possible side effects; avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product. Photo-toxic reactions, which basically is the same chemical compound and enzyme that cause a lemon to turn from green to yellow can cause increased risk for sunburn and blistering if the oil is present on the skin in the sun.  Obviously, keep all essential oils out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Do not store in plastic containers, for instance if I were to drink a drop with my 32 oz of water I'd make sure it's a glass water bottle or cup, because lemon and other citrus oils can breakdown synthetic oils found in plastics and Styrofoams which, in theory could be beneficial to breaking those down and removing them from your body, but it's not so great if it's breaking those toxins down and then putting into my water and then into my body.

For more information regarding lemon and/or other oils you can email me at hello@jenniferlindschutsky.com.



Disclaimer; Once again I'd like to clarify I'm a blogger, not a doctor, I do not suggest any of the above uses for you to try, I'm simply sharing what works for me and my family.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Federal Drug Administration. The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment