Thursday, October 8, 2015

Top 10 Tucson Restaurants {and which ones we ate at on our recent day trip}

Last weekend we headed down to Tucson for a wedding and while I was pretty excited for the wedding itself, I was also excited to go to a few of my favorite places to eat while we were down there.  It's funny because when we first moved there for school 10 years ago, we didn't know where to eat, we missed all our favorite places in Phoenix, then after living there for four years, we created quite the list of favorite eats, now that we're back in Phoenix, we had to start our list all over.  I've done a pretty good job finding local restaurants here but it took a long time {and it's a huge reason I started Bitches Food Club, we wanted to try all the new places!}  Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite places in Tucson for those of you looking for a quick day trip down south or maybe if you're planning an Arizona adventure.  Either way here's a look at my top 10 Tucson Restaurants...
When we first set out for Breakfast Saturday morning I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to go, but I knew where to look! We drove down to Fourth Ave and decided to walk around, where we ended up eating at the first restaurant on my list;

1. The B Line                                    In the past I've only had dessert here, but we decided to try it for breakfast because it had good reviews.  I'm so glad we did because it was delicious.


We got there just in time for them to still be serving breakfast, I think just around 11:30.  I didn't order a mimosa but they did have them! I ended up getting a latte and hooray they had almond milk!

I ordered the girls their eggs and toast entree and I got the house made biscuits only available on the weekend.  Sonja requested dessert and how could I say "no"? She chose the chocolate mouse and I got to say it was amazing. Although, I had my eye on the apple pie.
She had to eat all her eggs to get her dessert!  {The B Line}
My egg and cheese with tomato on house made biscuit {The B Line}
Chocolate Mouse and Vanilla Latte with Almond Milk {The B Line}

Both the girls enjoyed their dessert and with a little help from daddy they finished the whole thing.  good thing they have such big "candy pockets" or I would have wasted $6 on a cup of chocolate.

and then we were off for more exploring fourth ave. but back to my list...

If you're looking for another breakfast place on Fourth Ave you might want to check out Epic Cafe.  I like the patio area, but the inside has that community center vibe with board games and couches perfect when I have the toddlers with me. Plus their coffee is delicious and so is there food.  They even have ice cream! 

So technically, I haven't been here yet, but it was on my list of places for breakfast we could have tried this weekend, I'm leaving it here so I can remember it next time we're down there.  If you've been let me know how it is! It's a creperie so I'd be shocked to hear anything besides amazing reviews.  Who doesn't love Crepes?!

I know I've just given you like 3 places to get coffee, but sometimes you need to mix it up, so when I wasn't enjoying epic coffee I'd go to time market.  They're an adorable mini local grocery store with pizza and sandwiches and even a deli.  It's really great for getting local groceries especially on a weekend trip like ours, or just getting a sandwich for lunch.  

5.  Martin's                                  Martin's is interesting because even though the tacos are amazing {they even have delicious vegetarian/vegan ones} sometimes it's just not open.  There's really no rhyme or reason, just one day you could head that way and nope. closed.  So if you're ever there and they are open, it's a sign get your taco fix because you might not be able to the next time.


 It really is the best Mexican food I've ever had.  And we eat a lot of authentic street tacos, so believe me when I say you need this in your life.

I was totally shocked after living in Tucson for 4 year Husband had never had Martin's! 
complementary chips with beans and salsa. {Martin's}
H O R C H A T A!
Carne Asada Street Tacos. {Martin's}

6. Bumsted's
If tacos aren't your thing but beer and sandwiches are you need to hit up Bumsted's.  I think my favorite is called the movie star, it's vegetarian and has spicy mustard.  It's really wonderful. They also have sweet potato shoe string fries as an option, which I always order.  Even though it's more of a bar I bring my kids and have never had a problem they have arcade games, a fish tank and a kids menu so it's cool.  The ambiance is sort of drive bar but there are some unique family portraits on the walls that were done by a UofA photography student while I was attending art school and the way she captures motherhood is authentic and real and so it's like going to a mini art museum too.  

As a vegetarian I can not express to you my love for lovin' spoonfuls.  It's a vegan restaurant with a little bit of everything, they have salads {obviously} but burgers and pizzas and pasta dishes and even Asian and Middle Eastern dishes.  Really something for everyone.  well, everyone except carnivores I guess.

SO. here's the deal with Brooklyn Pizza Company.  They have good pizza, but they jaw dropping garlic knots.  Like all the garlic. in bread. dipped in marinara sauce. If you like garlic and carbs you need these.  NEED them!
If you're looking for something with some Tucson history and want more of a Mexican food Restaurant as opposed to taco shop, El Charro is for you.  Established in 1922 by Monica Flin.  El Charro Café of Tucson is The Nation’s Oldest Mexican Restaurant in continuous operation by the same family.  The walls have iconic images from Mexican culture and beautifully painted portraits. It's a really beautiful location, but make sure you go to the original downtown location for an authentic experience. 

Maybe you're just craving a burger.  Maybe you want to try the OMFG burger because if you finish all of it in 20 minutes it's on the house.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone actually finishing it so you could be the first.  I suggest the Hawaii 5-0 personally.  

So there you have it, a little look at our favorite places to eat in Tucson.  If you have a favorite I missed I'd love to hear about it! I'm always looking for more places to add to our list when we get a change to head down there.  I always forget how much I love the small town vibes of this city until I'm there, and then I don't want to leave.  Where is your home away from home?





No comments:

Post a Comment