Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Making Henna (updates and thoughts)

definitly needed to add more water but this was after it was in the heat and the texture when we did our dye release test- we checked it on the skin for five minutes to see if it was a bright orange color.  That's how you know the henna has reacted with the essential oils and is ready for skin.

a little messy with some ghost stains but I wanted to try a geometric design and this was the blankest part of my skin at the moment. 
Here's the paste dried and on my foot for a couple of hours, finally a good stick (the longer it sticks to the skin the darker the stain)! I'd been trying to get it right for dry environments and I think this is my new recipe for Arizona! Still trying to understand how much to adjust for humility when traveling though.


In other henna news, I've been experimenting with mehndika joey henna's blends and loving these color combos.  The redest one is traditional henna, the dark brown burgundy is a blend of 50/50 recipes she uses for her henna+jagua cones and traditional, and the blackest stains are from her henna+jagua recipe.  I like the effect you can do with all three but I have to admit it was difficult to use up all three cones (one of each blend) so, I probably won't be doing much of these tricolor combos unless it's for a larger group event or I have a big design, otherwise I think I'll end up being too wasteful.  But it's great to know I've got options! 

Most Recently, a friend asked in I could do some henna for her friend's bridal party.  Of course, I said YES!
This piece was already stencilded in pen, by the bridesmaid but I used a henna+Jagua blend that covered it and lasts about 2 weeks, and added flowers, you can find more images of the work from this night on @lalunahenna on instagram.
 This piece was a practical copy from an image the client brought me, I added the draping and loved the added depth it gave the piece. (sorry do not know the original artist for top half)
adding those roses.
I also started experimenting with negative space, these outlines hardened and then I filled the paisley in with paste as you can see started on the left.
* above and below images by Scout and Briar

I'm really enjoying these henna works and how it's expanded my creative community.  I can't believe I've waited so long to start drawing with it, and I'm so thankful to my friend Diane for handing me an extra henna cone on my thirtieth birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment