Thursday, March 29, 2018

Spring Cleaning and Diffuser Blends

I don't know about you but with all the flowers in bloom and sun shining it gives me the perfect energy for cleansing and cleaning.  I leave the front door open when I deep clean, not only to let in the birds chirping and warm fresh air, but to also release any of that stale energy.  This is also important when saging a space - the door should be open to release any negativity, some people also believe this allows spirits to leave as well.  I really believe cleaning is more than just surface deep.  I usually start with the quick cleaning, like picking things up and putting them in the kids room, and then I go room by room pulling anything that no longer serves us.  I have three paper bags; one for goodwill, one for recycling and one for trash.  Sometimes I find things that would be good hand-me-downs for nieces and nephews, so I set those in paper bags for each family.  


View + Download spring cleaning checklist Modified from Real Simple Mag.

To find my motivation, I sometimes turn to dōTERRA's Cheer Uplifting Blend.  It is an amazing combination of citrus and spice oils that will brighten anyone's mood. This uplifting oil can be applied to the skin to counteract negative emotions and provide a boost of happiness and positivity when feeling down.  I like to diffuse this while doing my spring cleaning to remind myself I clean out of love.  And prevent me from harboring negative thoughts while cleaning up after others.

Once I'm done with the living room I move to the kitchen, I pull all the drawers and sort anything extra. Then I move onto the fridge, I toss all the leftovers, saving plastic containers to be rinsed and recycled, I wash all of our glassware and then once dry, put back in the fridge (even if it's empty).  I saw an organization show once that explained it's better to store your empty reusable food containers in the fridge because your fridge performs better fully stocked.  The cool things in the fridge help keep the other things around it cool.  It's easier to keep a bunch of stuff cold around itself than cooling empty air.  And then when putting things into the containers to store in the fridge there is already a head start on the containers being cooler.  Sometimes, if I have help I'll pull the fridge or stove, but yikes, it's gross under there, I wish those appliances came on wheels.  I would definitely move them around more if that was the case. 

Next up, the art supplies and project zones.  I have to admit this and my work space do not get the love or attention they need.  I often stack piles and piles until I get overwhelmed and make time to sort these areas out.  When cleaning my work areas and project zones, I put on my diffuser in my work space filled with lemon and lime, and get to work.  I feel like it's much easier to clean when everything smells so fresh.  I sort all the old papers tossing between recycling and organizing, I make file folders and put everything away.  I feel calm as my work space clears off and adds some control to the chaos.  

After I clear my desk and art supplies are organized I move to the dreaded closet.  I also have bags in there to help me toss quickly; one for resale - anything clean and in style goes in the resale bag to be taken to poor little rich girl or buffalo exchange. and if I'm feeling ambitious maybe even listing them to posthmark.  Another goodwill bag for anything that I can't imagine selling well, like tee shirts and even old bras.  I throw away anything with stains that I can't upcylce into rags for cleaning, and anything that has holes.  I wish I could make time to repair all the holes in my clothes but sometimes we have to know when we're over committing.  Since I don't actually have that many damaged clothes I probably only throw away into the trash about 3-5 items.  I really try to keep everything in good condition and buy timeless wardrobe items because fashion has a huge negative impact on our environment

After everything has been sorted I try to take everything out of the house as quickly as possible to not let things sit around there or in my car.  Sometimes I'll put dōTERRA's Grapefruit Essential oil into my car diffuser because it's a great motivation boost to help uplift my mindset and accomplish and finish my spring-cleaning goals. Organizing and de-cluttering isn't always my favorite hobby, so It helps to diffuse anything that will help give me the kick I need to get it all done! I always  have Grapefruit on-hand in case we need a quick cleanse or extra motivation to finish a task.  I'm gifting one free bottle of grapefruit to anyone who starts with an enrollment kit this spring (now through May 31, 2018. Feel free to email me and ask how to get a bottle for your essential spring collection today! 

If you're already a fan of essential oils here's a few favorite spring diffuser blends. 



*updated to include this 10 day cleaning challenge. 4/10/18



No comments:

Post a Comment