Thursday, September 20, 2018

New Orleans Day 3

When we booked this trip we had to be very particular about dates because of our work schedules and we found the perfect weekend, Jewish Holidays meant I didn't have to teach and it just happened to be over my bestie's birthday weekend, so on our third day in Nola we celebrated all the things she wanted to do.  Starting with coffee. 
 Paloma Cafe for caffeine. definitely wanted to stay longer and try all their food too.
 but alas, we had plans for breakfast and surprise thrifting.
 would have taken this couch home with me in one second if I could.
 we didn't buy anything but if I had any room in my suit case or money in my account, I would have hoarded all the treasures.
Satsuma // lox bagel plate.
 I did the green breakfast sandwich.
 and since it was a birthday we celebrated with a {pan}cake.
To walk off our decadent breakfasts we headed to the New Orleans Botanical Garden, where Alex was able to use her Denver Botanical membership to get us in for free.
As former art students we were enamored with the Enrique Alferez sculpture garden.
"The son of a Mexican sculptor, AlfĂ©rez spent part of his young-­‐adult life in the army of Pancho Villa in the Mexican Revolution before coming to the United States. He studied with the prolific sculptor Lorado Taft in Chicago in the 1920s, then moved to New Orleans in 1929, where he lived until his death in 1999."
and just look at this pond and the lily pads. 
 tropical green house are the things my dreams are made of.
 probably talking about my future humid garden and how I need more lush leaves in my life.
 //mood.
 prettiest purple eggplants.
 and purple peppers! need to find some of these seeds.
 and the other half of my soul cacti.
After the gardens we ventured to Rosalie Herb Shop in search of stones and tarot cards.  I wanted something full of New Orleans magic.
This deck was full of pop culture significance but I opted for this one instead which isn't currently listed on their website. 
That evening we went walking, again, before dinner.  We were hoping to make a quick stop at the nearby cemetery, but they actually lock the gates so we found ourselves wondering nearby and absorbing all the enchantment of these extravagant homes.
After our self guided home tour we set off for birthday dinner.
Alex chose Johnny Sanchez for dinner because while Mexican food might sound slightly out of place in Nola, she's living in Denver at the moment with limited authentic Fine Dining Mexican restaurants. We're used to Tucson folks, okay. we need our salsa.
Award winning margarita with crushed worm salt rim? okay? I'll try it. I did half black lava salt in case I didn't like it, but to be honest it tasted just fine.  If no one told me it was worms mixed in I probably would have actually enjoyed it.
 Queso.
 Elote in a bowl.
 99% sure this is the Market Salad, she'll correct me if I'm wrong.
I got a Brussels sprout and butternut squash side and it was amazing, butternut squash, cotija, and jalapeno vinaigrette.
And finally cauliflower tacos, not as good as The Coronado but I can see why it was award winning. 

After dinner we were too full for dessert, but that's okay we had beignets the day before and that's enough sugar to last a life time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment