Monday, June 10, 2019

Ten Cultural Curious Cookbooks

I've been in such a meal planning and recipe rut that when my friend Lyndsay posted a few cookbooks at the library, I realized she was onto something.  I went with my girls to get them some summer reads and stopped by the cookbook section. My youngest picked out a few based on the beautiful artworks on the cover and I choose a few based on the places I missed like Spain and Italy. We got quite a variety of cookbooks from different cultures, and I wanted to share our list with you, there's links to the amazon option but you can also get them at your local library with a bit of planning.

1. Zaitoun by Yasmin Khan - Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen
I wasn't really familiar with any Palestinian culinary experiences, but I trusted my daughter's choice in books and was pleasantly surprised with the types of recipes in this book, many were cooinsidentaly vegetarian and in line with my types of food, many ingredients that are local to our climate as well.  Roast Eggplant with Spiced Chickpeas and Tomatoes, Eggplan and Feta Kefte, Red Lentil and Squash Soup with Za'atar croutons, and Freekah with Butternut Squash and Kale just to name a few.

2. Catalan Food by Daniel Olivella with Caroline Wright - Culture & Flavors from the Mediterranean
This book features Paella on the cover, so I knew it would have many favorite Spanish recipes inside.  I wasn't wrong either.  This book has Potato and Onion Omelet, Gazpacho, Seafood and Vegetarian Paella, Patates Braves and so much more. I can literally taste the flavors of Barcelona and Madrid while gazing at the images.  I bought Saffron from Mountain Rose a couple of months ago and now finally have the excuse and recipes to use it! (also pictured in the photo Vegan Recipes from Spain)

3. Decolonize your Diet by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel
This one is full of plant based Mexican American recipes for health and healing. I like it because it brings awareness to the plants of the area I live and the plants native people would have used and cooked with decades and generations ago.  Mexico is of course just as colonized as the United States but many of the recipes also have ingredients Native peoples would have been using during and before colonization of Mexico. Like Tepary Bean Salad, Pickled Onions, Corn Tortillas, and Coyolxauhqui bowl inspired by the Mexica goddess figure.

4. The Sioux Chef's Indigenous Kitchen by Sean Sherman & Beth Dooley
I haven't actually had the chance to read this one yet, but it's on the list because it appears to have recipes for Native Americans from the Sioux tribe and while that's present day mid-west I'm assuming it will still have lots of recipes full of ingredients indigenous to North America making it a great resource for things I can grow in my garden and prepare from seed to plate.

5. Eat Feel Fresh: A Contemporary, Plant-Based Ayurvedic Cookbook by Sahara Rose Ketabi
I got this book when I started reading more about Ayurvedic diet during my yoga teacher training.  I like it because it's mostly Indian food but with all plant based ingredients.  I'm not vegan but I do believe that the average American is not getting nearly enough nutrients from plants and herbs, so when I reach for a cookbook I want it to have a variety of options without me having to alter or edit out the meat.  And I'm not one for meat substitutes either, like either eat the meat or don't let's not make ultra processed versions of something - if you don't agree with meat maybe we should stop trying to recreate it's flavor.  Just my opinion.  The reason I love this cookbook is because I feel so refreshed after I eat any recipe from it and I don't even realize there's no meat or dairy in the dish, which is a big deal since the rest of my family isn't even vegetarian.

6. Master Chef Street Food by Genevieve Taylor
Husband has been obsessed with street food videos on youtube, netflix and anywhere he can find people preparing food on the street. So, I knew I had to get this book for him to try out a few recipes.  I'm most excited for the Masala Dosa on page 200.  Spiced Vegetable Samosas on page 178. Red Red with Friend Plantain from Africa on page 152. And my favorite Pierogi from Poland on page 94.  The book is broken up into 5 regions; The Americas, Europe, The Middle East and Africa, The Indian Subcontinent, Asia and Australia.  Within each region countries are listed for specificity.

7. Paris Picnic Club by Shaheen Peerbhai
Parisian food its iconic of course, and many of our favorite American dishes emulate something French so it's not really a foriegn food, except that it is in fact a forign country and some of the combinations are unique or unexpected compared to a conventional American diet. Like Creme Fraiche Mashed Potatoes with Charred corn and sharp white cheddar.  Most masted potatoes have cream and butter but it makes sense that Creme Fraiche would be the ingredient of choice here with its middle ground of thick cream and almost butter like consistency.  But then other recipes like pickled plums and shallots is something I never would have considered combining. Lots of baking and drinks in this one as well.

8. Mowgli Street Food by Nisha Katona
While much of India is Hindu with a strong vegan and vegetarian diet this street food book features both meat and veggie entres and options.  A few of my favorite veggie options from the book are the Mowgli Slaw, Bhatura which is a traditional Indian bread, and Black Dahl a vegan stable in the Indian diet.

9. The Malaysian Kitchen by Christina Arokiasamy
I'm looking forward to trying the Malaysian Korma Vegetables with a ghee base. Traditional Malaysian Stir-Fried Noodles featuring a new to me spice; Sambal Ulek, which is essentially red  jalapeño chiles, shallots, garlic and red wine vinegar among a few other ingredients. It seems to be in a LOT of the recipes and is probably what I love about Asian noodle recipes.

10. Andina: The Heart of Peruvian Food: Recipes and Stories from the Andes by Martin Morales
This is another one I couldn't find at the library yet, but looks like a great representation of Peruvian food.  Hoping there's a recipe for Tacu Tacu. Pan-fried Rice and Beans flat cake and Papa Rellenas.

Have a new favorite cookbook? Share it with me over on Instagram you can find me there @hawksandhoney or on facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment