Friday, May 22, 2020

Sourdough Starter

Last week my brother in law gave me a sourdough starter.  I wasn't really sure how to take care of it but I knew it was the trendy thing to do, so I said thank you and then put off reading his instructions.  But today, I made the effort and it was actually very easy.  
The things you need are; 
  • sourdough starter - duh
  • organic flour
  • warm water (about 80 degrees Fahrenheit) 
  • kitchen scale
  • mixer or bowl to combine ingredients.

 For this recipe I combined;
100 g sourdough starter
200 g flour
200 g warm water
mixed together well enough and then put in a glass jar with a loose lid for expansion as the mixture grows. 

I'm still learning so I did two batches from my starter batch, and am trying to keep notes on what I did that works best and how I can keep this living organism alive.

I already realized I should have put the mixture in larger jars so that the new batch can grow to double it's size.  Luckily since I did leave the lid loose the jar didn't explode or anything and it just oozed out a bit.  Probably will use one of the batches for a loaf of bread right away and will update after that, to let you know how it goes. 

Also, I want to pay it forward so you can find my instagram and comment to win a starter if you're local (Phoenix area).  I plan on giving away one starter for the next 4 weeks to spread the love.  Let me know if you're interested at @hawksandhoney on instagram.

Have you already done the trend and have advice?  I'm so excited to get this homesteading project underway.




No comments:

Post a Comment