Saturday, August 29, 2020

Day 16 & 17 Colorado

We made it to Delmara's early evening and unpacked all our things, showered, got situated for the evening, the kids ran around playing and had a sleepover. We woke up to a fresh cooked oatmeal breakfast and more time for the kiddos to play.  This was my main goal of summer, get the kids out back to nature and real life, real friends and human connection.  Everything about Spring makes me emotionally sick.  The damage to our kiddos from ripping away the last quarter of school without giving them a chance to get a proper farewell before or after spring break, well it was soul crushing for my mama heart.  I planned so hard and saved for this trip to give them that childhood they deserved.  I know it's controversial but I do not think quarantining healthy people long term is beneficial to society or community.  I know there's a lot of fear of the unknown with Covid, but I'm more concerned with the real observable impacts on mental health and I refuse to let my kids suffer because other people are scared of them and their healthy immune system.  Thankfully, I have like minded friends and family who agree and are willing to take the risk to live their best life possible with the time they have and not cower in fear.  We had so much fun interacting with our friends in real life. 
bed head.
recently found out I'm sensitive to oats, but I couldn't resist a fresh made bowl with fruit and ginger honey from the Montana Bee Company, also forever obsessed with handmade mugs of coffee. 
board games or bored games
due to some tire concerns we opted to drive back a couple days early with the husband in case of an emergency.  It meant making the most of our time together with friends, and look at that more water!
picnics at the park near the river for maximum fun! and don't worry we took our trash with us, that plastic bag didn't end up in the water. 
Thankful to Delmara fellow photographer for capturing a few images of me on this trip.
and yay for big kids who I can trust to hold my phone over the water to capture us together.
friends!
Delmara recharging in the water. 
joy.
and for the photo album; some instax souviners.
And after our outdoor adventures; Taco night! 
followed by grilled peaches and homemade fresh vanilla ice cream.
you know that concept where everyone in your life crosses your path to teach you something; here's what Delmara has taught me in no particular order;
1. life is better with friends
2. kids are wild and their messes are rampant, but there's joy in the chaos
3. grocery shopping with kids sucks but is doable with friends
4. cooking from scratch is easy and a service of love
5. we are empowered when we take care of ourselves and our homes
6. people you didn't know in high school are worth connecting with
7. basil is the gateway herb
8. gardening doesn't have to be hard and plants are our friends
9. it's easy to get what you want if you know what you want
10. big changes take big sacrifices 
11. DO NOT FUCKING SETTLE
I hennaed her in gratitude for opening her home and as thanks for feeding us.  I might not be big on funds, but I'll always say thank you in the best language I have; creativity.  Thanks for being an amazing friend Delmara.  I love you and your sweet fam.


  Next stop, an overnight stay in Santa Fe, New Mexico as a layover to our drive home to Phoenix.


No comments:

Post a Comment