Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Old Family Photographs

I've always been a sucker for family history.

I love looking at the old black and whites of my family and learning about the lives they lived. So often we forget that our parents and grandparents were cool. They had Friends, Parties, and Stories. When we look at old photos it all comes to life.

I recently asked my parents (and Husband asked his) for old family photos. I wanted to put something together for the baby that showed him or her where S/He came from. I got all teary eyed looking at the collection from my Grandpa (which is so unlike me), seeing my Grandma and Dad as a baby. It's a crazy thought, that one day my future grandchildren could be looking at photos of me and my child, with the anticipation of sharing those photos with their children.

Unfortunately, my grandmother past away when I was only 4 years old. It's through these old photographs that I'm able to get to know her, the way I wish I could have in real life.

Here are some of my favorites from the images we have gathered so far:

My Grandmother in Westwood, England


My Grandfather in Westwood, England - where he was stationed in the Air Force.


My Grandfather at 17


My Great Grandmother (my Father's Mother's Mother) in England


My Great Grandfather (my Father's Mother's Father) in England


Husband's Great Grandfather playing dress up in a French Uniform (during WWI)


Husband's Great Grandfather's Brother in Italy


Husband's Great Grandfather on the Ferry he worked on in NYC



Husband's Family Member in Italy


I have more from my mom's side of the family that I'm still working on scanning and collecting. Expect those in a future post.

I hope these images inspire you to do a little family history research as well. Recently, my husband found out that although the photos suggest his history is Italian his family is actually Albanian and they immigrated to Italy in the early 1900s. Really interesting stuff out there about who you are and where you come from.

Happy Family Researching!

No comments:

Post a Comment