Friday, March 6, 2015

Bitches Food Club goes to Palette To Palate


 As I arrived to Palette to Palate, I was excited to see the roof top surrounded by tall buildings and clear skies.  My sister and law and husband were already there also providing media coverage but I was too distracted by all the art and food to even start looking for them, luckily I ran into my brother in law in just a few short minutes.
The first thing I noticed when I walked in were these large paintings by Randy Slack, and then as I walked around, I noticed small nooks of artists working near the food tables...
My first stop was Pillsbury Wine Company
 Pillsbury was serving wine with a dish prepared by Stephen Jones
 I got a glass of the white, even though I'm not much of a wine girl it paired well with my soup.
Yard Bird + The Larder by Stephen Jones featured a cooled English Pea Soup {pictured above} with Vegetable Beignet {think dumpling} including hints of citrus topped with crispy kale and dandelion greens garnished with white wine pickled spring onions and watermelon radishes. 
As I waited in line, I was able to watch paired Artist  Hugo Medina work {below}
 As I enjoyed my soup I looked around to the rooftop filling up and then went on exploring the rest of the offerings.
If the drinks provided weren't enough there was also a full service cash bar for anything you might be craving. 
 I noticed more artwork, this time the artist was working directly onto the tablecloth, with what my sister in law told me was beet juice, for anyone who has ever painted with juice it is soooo liquidy and spreads so quickly, and as I looked at the piece later on in the night I was impressed with the amount of control he had, you'll see..
I've never been onto of the Renaissance Hotel before, but these domed windows remind me of{and almost make me "homesick" for} Barcelona and Gaudi's work.  I loved looking up at the architecture of the building.
I really liked the depth of Taylor Jensen's work,Paired with Virtu
I always love watching other artists paint.  It makes me want to go outside and start a new piece right away.  There's something about being an adult out of a studio classroom that kills creativity, I'll never take for granted that studio environment of talented artists working by my side.
Anyway, back to the food; Virtù featured shrimp and caramelized short rib with what tasted like a sweet and sour sauce and wasabi mayo by Chef Gio Osso
Virtù + Chef Gio Osso
Emily enjoying the shrimp from Virtù
 Tito's Vodka offering a spicy limeade!
garnished with a pepper. spicy!
The Gladly serving a traditional inspired whisky sour topped with egg white form and kefir lime yuzu, made with Copper City Bourbon.
Enjoying our food in front of Taylor Jensen's work {technically not the official Art + Food pairing but, we do what we want}
Citizen Public House by Bernie Kantak offered a beef jerky in ponzu cured with salt myer lemon and raw tuna topped with tapioca {think boba} balls with a kefir lime and fermented Fresno chili Sriracha Sauce.
Paired with images by photographer Abigail Lynch
Live Music
Love these pieces by Hugo Medina paired with Yard Bird + The Larder 
The Phoenix architecture reflected in the work paired with the surrounding buildings was a well thought juxtaposition.
I must have been so excited to try this pot sticker and croquet from  Bitter and Twisted  by Chef Bob Tam I forgot to take a photo, no worries though I took a video:
Bitter and Twisted was already on my list for future date nights, but now I want to go TONIGHT!
Renaissance Hotel Phoenix's ICON in collaboration with Jesse Perry {that beet juice again!}
 Loved the little displays by ICON, Mushrooms and decor and Fennel in centerpieces.
Beet Pasta and Beet Juice as paint!
sadly, eventually, some of the restaurants ran out of food and drinks, and the night started to wind down.
So as we finished the last of our drinks we watched the light display on the adjacent building timed almost exactly to the live music playing next to us
I'll share the link once Matt publishes his images from the night.
And if you're interested in any Local events in Phoenix, Local First Arizona is where you can find ALL the local businesses and events.  They're at all of them, or at least it feels that way.  Their website hosts a directory of local businesses offering discounts to members.  AND, I recently signed up to be a member which means that any future Devour Phoenix events {as long as I'm a member} will be discounted, and they also offer early ticket options to events before they're open to the public. Not just for Devour events but for lots of events and businesses.
Couldn't have asked for better weather and I'm so excited for Devour Phoenix's Culinary Classic this weekend! Husband and I are going both days! That's two days kids free with food and drinks. Although, now, that I've experienced this palette to palate I kind of wish there was going to be live art happening at the Phoenix Art Museum as well!

Thanks for reading along, and as you know, Bitches Food Club is always looking for new restaurants in the Phoenix area to try so, if you have any suggestions leave a comment or two!





No comments:

Post a Comment