Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Day in Tucson with my Bestie

I am so lucky to have the friends and family around me that I do.  Like, incredibly and inexplicably grateful for their love and support.  But some of my closest friends and family are miles away.  One in particular lives 864 miles away and I rarely see her.  But we make an effort to catch up when one is in town or nearby, in this specific instance, she was about 100 miles away so I obviously hopped in the car and headed down to Tucson.

While we were there we stopped in at the University of Arizona School of Art where we met, she's my creative counterpart and thanks to group assignments that we both actively participated in, TYVM, we became very good friends.  Family dinner nights and afternoons just running errands together.  Even after I moved back to Phoenix after graduation I would come down once a month to work as an art coordinator at BICAS and stay with her.

Anyway, all the classrooms were locked but we wandered the halls of our former youth and documented the experience.  As we walked around we realized that it's actually been ten years since I graduated from U of A!  but walking around it felt as comfortable as it did yesterday.  Time is weird.

alumni.
a new shade structure in front of the School of Architecture.  We napped under. 
we stopped in for drinks to meet a previous professor at Sky Bar, a classic 4th ave bar.  I ordered the Queen’s Own; made with gin, lemon, lavender-earl grey simple syrup, with a raw sugar and rose petal rim. and while I don't love drinks in martini glasses (I'm an on the rocks kind of girl) I would suggest this one, if you find yourself there. 
after drinks we dined at Cafe Poca Cosa, where I had actually never been.  They change the menu twice daily with the servers presenting the entree options table side off a large hand held chalkboard. i was so overwhelmed with my options i simply requested the vegetarian tamale. 
keep in mind if you go there nothing will be the same and each time you'll have the opportunity to try something new, & they do not accept any special requests or modifications. 
the next morning we decided to get coffee at Exo Roasters, another new place that didn't exist when we were there.  
lemon Polenta Cake with a bite missing.  
cappuccino in hand.
 i took a sip of my iced vanilla latte with almond milk before documenting, sorry. 
 i had to order these breakfast tacos.  Nopal + eggs + fermented onions.  
we walked around a bit after, before I headed back to Phoenix, next time I'm down there I will definitely be getting some colorful candles and tarot cards from this Celestial Rites boutique on 4th Ave, if you know of any other local shops with crystals and herbs will you please share them with me in the comments below or email me here.  I would like to support local businesses when crafting.


No comments:

Post a Comment