Monday, August 27, 2018

Camping in Kauai Part One | August 2018

Sometimes I think it' s silly to keep going back to the same place year after year for a vacation, like the adventurer in me is screaming GO SOMEWHERE NEW, but the mermaid in me is like nah go to Kauai.  We first went to this Island 6 years ago, and immediately fell in love.  We actually planned to move there, things change and we're here in Phoenix for a bit, but when Husband is done with school we'll reevaluate. Until then we'll go back as much as possible, because honestly, every time we go, it is like going somewhere new, there's still so many places here to discover and explore here.
This time we started our trip off with camping, we camped at our favorite beach on the south side of the Island and then woke up early to hike the Kukui trail into the Waimea Canyon and camp on the river, there were one million mosquitoes and I didn't take many photos on my real camera.
 Once we survived that adventure we spent a few nights at Anahola Beach Park.
Vera brought me all the treasures.
We don't bring much when we camp, in fact this is all the 'extra' we have to bring to camp here, the weather is so perfect you don't even need sleeping bags, just a blanket or two to cushion the ground. and our tiny stove to make some meals.
Camping coffee.
I could wake up like this every morning. 
And I sort of do, I'm very lucky to have a husband who makes me coffee every morning before I even get out of bed.
//coral
Whenever we camp we still do things. We usually break down our tent but this time we had a great spot and took a risk and left it set up, obviously we took all the valuables with us, but it was nice to find it was still there waiting for us when we got back, I don't suggest that at all but we were lazy and lucky.  This stretch of vines is just outside of Hanalei and one of my favorite jungle sections of the island.
Kauai is full of these one car bridges, takes some getting used to but people are courteous and you get used to it.
We stopped for lunch in Princeville and it started raining, instead of taking cover our desert fairy danced in the rain.  Sometime so magical about all the water here.
Then, on our way back to our campsite husband spotted some pigs so we pulled over to say, 'hi.'
Since we camp, we save money on hotels which means we can splurge a bit on food, this is one of my favorite food trucks in Kauai. //Scorpacciata kauai// Wasabi Fries with kabayaki aioli.
The kids love the garlic one.
I get the Hawaiian, I only do half ham for the Husband but I'm one of weirdos who loves pineapple on my pizza, which group are you in?!
And of course after dinner was shave ice time from Wailua Shave Ice.  I got the "Lava Flow" Pineapple Juice, Coconut Foam, Strawberry Puree, Pineapple & Strawberry Fruit Topping.
//my Wildest Child.
Our usual breakfasts camping include oatmeal and to save on dishes we just eat out of the pot.
Vera asked me to take this very artsy photo of 3 spoons.
Another favorite foodie stop in Kauai are any and all farmers markets.  The Anahola Market had baked goods, fresh coconut, mixed greens and an avocado that lasted me about a week it was so big!
//Anahola Farmer's Market
Best Salsa on the island, Husband bought it and didn't get the card or name of the guy who made it.
Could not turn down this mini flower lei. Especially, after the airport SOLD OUT of Leis when we landed. I owed her.
Probably our favorite Acai + Shave Ice stop; Kalalea Juice Hale





     



No comments:

Post a Comment