Monday, September 23, 2019

Keith Haring Inspired Art Lesson (k-8)

I recently started teaching Art full time at a small private school and have been increasing my resources for lower and middle school art.  I honestly struggled with ideas for lower school last year, because it's been so long since I've taught lower school and it's a completely different skill set, concept and attention demographic.  This year I decided to incorporate more books for kids about artists into my introduction section of class each day.  This week we focused on Keith Haring and his radiating figures. And I actually remembered to snap a couple images of student work.  We read the book, Keith Haring The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing. And since I'm reading so many books to the kiddos this year, I checked with the Phoenix Public Library and they had it.  I checked it out on my own account.  Which is always a risk with so many tiny hands looking at it, but thankfully we went incident free and the kids loved reading this book.  I even read it to my middle school group up to 8th grade, and they all seemed to enjoy it and practice something new in his style. Here's a look at their work and the results of the lesson.
above // lower school projects
above and below // middle school student work.





No comments:

Post a Comment