Friday, September 6, 2019

San Diego August 2019 Photo Journal

To celebrate my brother in law's birthday we joined family and friends in San Diego for the weekend.  The Husband always says how much he hates SD but I didn't want to miss out on the fun and was craving the ocean.  So I decided to drag the family along.  Turns out he actually likes San Diego just hates Mission Beach - where my mom loves to book a beach house every Summer.  It's crowded and dirty, but the rest of SD has so much more to offer.  Culture and Coffee.

Our first stop was at Subterranean Coffee Boutique.  A cute little coffee shop in North Park community.  

I tried the Horchatte latte because life is coffee and cinnamon. 


Henna by my other brand; La Luna Henna.


Here's a peek at our breakfast we took to go, and ate on our patio at our AirBNB.

After Breakfast we headed towards the beach in La Jolla, our first attempt was a bit of a fail, we couldn't find parking near where we wanted to go so we parked up a hill and walked down to where we thought would connect with the beach. Turns out there wasn't anything except for cliffs waiting for us there.  We got a great view of the pier and some waves.  We saw plants and flowers, but alas, no beach so along we went, hiked back up the stairs and drove to another location with hope in our hearts. 
After getting back to the car and driving to a new spot we found a trailhead that for sure lead to a beach.  No cars allowed but a paved road to lead us down to the water.  The hike down wasn't too bad but the hike out did suck all of our energy.  I think it wasn't even a mile though, so maybe we're all just out of shape, or maybe just me, I'm out of shape.  At the trash cans just before the final decent into the beach we found an inflated donut and I picked it up for the kids to use in the water.  It was the best find and freebie of our trip.  I have a lot of stress in my life, but dang do magical gifts always find a way to me.  
 // waves.


































barefoot sandals // knotty by choice // not sponsored. 
Back at our airBNB we had the most beautiful flowers blooming in the garden, I have no idea what type of flowers these are but they were huge and I'm obsessed with them.  Doubt they would grow in Phoenix, but I'm not opposed to trying.
Also, when in Southern California,  I pretty much only eat burritos.  The Mexican food is authentic and tastes better than anything I've ever had anywhere else in the states.  Finding a good local place is key for the best results.  This shop was in our neighborhood in North Park and it's called Mauricio's Number 3.  They don't have a website or instagram so don't even try, but you can find them on google and yelp.  I included images below so you can see how full their burritos are. 

Guac was extra, but I'm worth it.


Okay, so after the burritos we spent the afternoon relaxing before BBQing for Wayne's Birthday.  The reason we booked this airBNB was because of the yard and deck, it was so gorgeous outside and we made sure to enjoy every second of it. 




HBD Wayne.
 Our last morning I checked out Dark Horse Coffee also in North Park because it looked like a simple coffee shop with DONUTS! You know I live for coffee and donuts.  Anyway.  I got a salted maple latte with oat milk and I have dreamed about it everyday since.  I also got an assortment of donuts to bring back to the house to share because I'm awesome. 


The donuts are from Skinny Donuts and include churro, taro (purple potato from Hawaii) and mango.  They were all amazing and I also dream about them daily. 

Let's go back.
After we checked out of our airBNB we headed into Downtown San Diego for some juice and exploration.  

We stopped at Choice Juciery and I found my new favorite super food, it's called Blue Majik and is a blue extract from spirulina.  This blend has coconut, coconut butter, Himalayan salt and Majik giving it the color pictured.  I loved it so much I went home and ordered the powder so I can make something similar at home. 

After walking around downtown, and checking out a park near the water and sail boats we opted to head into Old Town San Diego, which is a bit touristy to be honest, but also really cool since it's got the historic mission vibes and the streets are packed with Mexican street vendors selling little purses, toys and food.  We got dinner to go from Old Town Mexican Cafe.  Women were making tortillas fresh in the windows so it felt legit.  Our food was so good I forgot to take a photo because we ate it so quick. 

So, as it turns out, Husband does in fact like San Deigo, as he realized when we were leaving.  He kept trying to think of new things to do before we headed back.  I think next time we can actually plan to stay longer and find more food and fun.  




No comments:

Post a Comment