Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Recent Reads and Current Scents volume 1

This year I wanted to challenge myself to read more.  I was suggested the above books by two book worthy women (someone on instagram and Allyson).  I actually started The Power by Naomi Alderman back in November on our travels to Ireland and England but didn't get into it until we got back and settled into daily life back in the states.  I purchased Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyem over winter break when I took the kiddos to get some books from Barnes and Nobel.  And I always like to diffuse an oil or two while I read because there is a correlation to scent and memory.  After a good book, I can smell that oil and think of the story.  Its a fun technique not only for novels and literature but also useful for studying, it's not like you're gonna ace a test if you diffused rosemary and then wear rosemary EO on a diffuser bracelet for the test, but hey it could improve your focus, recall and present moment thinking.  I've noticed a benefit from this technique so I'd thought I'd share.  I'm not a doctor or scientist but try it and see what you think. 
The Power by Naomi Alderman was a little scattered for my attention during our travels but once I got home and had time to focus I really enjoyed the plot and the way it played out.  Imagine if all the sudden women across the world woke up with literal power, an electrical charge that could protect us, stop attackers and make us more powerful physically than men.  What would happen if women were the dominant human sex.  Would the world be a kinder place?  Would the same wars play out? Alderman explores these ideas and follows various characters that weave in and out of each other's experiences until the culmination of events clarifies the true effects of such a power.  I enjoyed how she used renderings of archeological finds some real and some manufactured for the book, but the touches of anthropology and social media jargon makes the voice more intriguing and feels more modern.  I highly suggest this book.
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyem was a little more simple than I would have liked it was something my 16 year old self would have loved to read, not that 34 year old Jenn wasn't into it, I've just lived enough of my life to know what to expect and know where the story was headed.  That's not to say the plot wasn't complicated it just had some common threads that I've read in other young adult literature.  I think the story here is worth sharing and the symbolism is beautiful.  This plot revolves around two young women bringing magic back.  Like actual literal magic, that was dismantled by the patriarchy, I mean how could I not love this? The women though young are sent through trail after trail to do the work they need to do.  Do they experience heartbreak along the way?  Do they lose and gain loved ones along the way? And most importantly do they succeed? I would definitely suggest this book to any tween/teen/young adult or anyone who is looking for a long but easy read.  

If you're interested in learning more about the Black Spruce or Hinoki essential oil pictured above join my facebook group here or enroll as a member for wholesale pricing using my enroller ID 1767826 at My.Doterra.com/Hawksandhoney



No comments:

Post a Comment