Tuesday, December 10, 2019

NYC Layover 2019


The Husband and I set off to London last week for a work conference, and had a few hours to waste in NYC.  When I bought the tickets for our flights I got an amazing deal like $500 round trip but with that came an 8 hour layover in NYC, which was fine because we love the city and were traveling without kids totally confident we could make it back on time. But that flight got cancelled and we were rebooked with only 6 hours.  Still plenty of time, just not as much as we hoped.  The Husband wanted pizza and I wanted Central Park so we started there.   We got trash pizza from Ray's Pizzeria, actually mine was fine but his was gross, oh well.  We walked around the park and then headed towards Rockefeller. I wanted to go to the Seasoned Vegan but they didn't open until dinner, and Flower Power Herbs & Roots Inc but they were just a bit too far away.  I started to stress about making it back on time so we headed back about 3.5 hours before our flight. 
We made it back to JFK with plenty of time to spare and security was full but extremely quick.  So now we know, 6 hour is plenty!
The view from the street before crossing over into Central Park.  I don't know the names of all the buildings but my favorite part of NYC is all the mixed buildings and architecture.  I just find the whole juxtaposition of them intriguing and it's a reminder that each one came from a different era or story. I guess that's the architect's niece in me. Dwellings, structures, pattern, design,  I love it all. Once we made our way to the park we found a path and a squirrel friend and a better view of the buildings.  Pro Tip; pack your carry on like you don't need it, and then volunteer to check it to your final destination when everyone is stressing out about their bags fitting.  Saved myself $50 and didn't have to lug around my roller bag through the city. The Husband always carries his backpacking back-pack as his main luggage but he packs so light it's not a struggle.  I on the other hand brought 3 pairs of shoes, a giant sweater and a traditional saree to wear to the bollywood night, my bag was full, to say the least. 


Not bad for a couple hours in one of the most famous and bustling cities in the world.  Next time we hope to stay longer and see family! Anyway, working on the other days from our travels so check back soon.  If you have any questions about our travel adventures feel free to email or follow along on instagram.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment