Sunday, August 16, 2020

Road Trip 2020 Day 3 Redwoods

After driving from Northern CA to the Redwoods (location available to Patreon members only) we arrived at our campsite.  The whole area was lush and green, the cool humidity was a refreshing change to the desert we left days before.  We opted to camp and stay with friends and family on this trip because of Covid and the risks we'd pose on others if we stayed in hotels or AirBnBs so we kept it to a minimum only booking one night on the drive home stretch of our trip (but that's jumping ahead of ourselves).  The campsites we chose were reserve sites and we often fully booked.  Thankfully, this site had huge trees between each campsite and allowed for distance between campers.  While neither of us were worried about the virus, we wanted to be respectful and enjoy our travels without worrying about masks and protocols.  To be in nature and in the trees, the lungs of the earth, was powerful and energizing.  We had so much fun exploring with the kids and noticing the new plants and animal life of this area of the world. 
the first thing we noticed was this prickly fruit, which I immediately thought was dangerous, turns out I was right wild cucumber is poisonous to consume.  So.  Don't.
Also I stopped drinking the day we left for this trip, so everything was mocktails. OJ + Tonic is one of my new drinks.
walking to the bathroom to brush our teeths.  This site had running water and flushing toilets. 

Favorite tomato soup (can't find anywhere at the moment, blaming it on covid) and some of my fresh baked sourdough bread (yeah I bake my bread in a pan because I call it lazy sourdough)
we couldn't get a fire started in the evening but Emily got one going in the morning so the kiddos ate toasted marshmallows for breakfast. 
I was looking for The Coronado's Horchatte but this was an almost close second. 
July other places is cool + not 117 degrees 
we found slugs and bugs.
we stood in awe of the trees.
we walked around and found playgrounds in nature.
how to toast a bagel when camping. 
Gaussian blur complements of humidity. 
Daily ritual.  get the thoughts out of the head and onto paper. 
All I wanted for my kids this summer was a real childhood, a break from masks and online learning, real dirt and yes germs, I'm forever grateful for the opportunities and possibilities I've been able to give my girls. 
always bring your books friends.
and your camera.
more photography work at JenniferLindSchutsky.com

Next up Oregon. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment