Thursday, October 29, 2020

DIY Doll House turned Haunted Mansion

I saw this on pinterest a while ago and thought we should try it out ourselves.  I love thrifting, so I just kept an eye out when I was at goodwill.  I found this doll house for about $4 on a teacher discount day! I also hit up Michael's arts and crafts to find some doll house accessories.  I already had black matte spray paint and some regular orange and purple acrylic paint.  I would definitely suggest prepping the plastic better than I did - see also; I did nothing to prep the plastic.  The first scratches took the paint right off, but we're delicate with the house so it's not a big deal, I figured any scapes or imperfections would just add character.  The kids painted the windows and added the accessories wherever they felt they fit best.  I, of course - being the control freakI am, went back and touched up the rooftops and pumpkin windows might still go back and add vines and details because my crazy is real.  I told a friend next year I'd be making my Haunted Mansion where I can go full extra.
Anyway, I think it was a fun interactive way to get kids off screens and excited about the holidays.  I will probably seriously add to the fairy village every year.  S. My oldest even added moss and orbeez to make a haunted pond to the front of the house.  It's adorable to see their imagination create alternate realities and personal experiences.  If you create one yourself tag me I'd love to see it @hawksandhoney and #hawksandhoneyHalloween

Taped the lights and the doorbell works!
spray.
allow to dry.
let kids paint, after explaining some expectations.
glue any embellishments onto the house.
all done.
side one details.
side two.
more details.


so, how did we do?

     

No comments:

Post a Comment