Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What We Ate {Country Dinner}

I like to eat.

Like, a lot.

Like, I should not be a blogger or an artist but an official food critic.

So, meals at our house aren't just mac and cheese or Betty Crocker boxed mixes.  No.  They're an experience.  Husband does most of the cooking, but I can hold my own.  However, with two small littles, I don't put up much of a fight when he wants to cook for us.  And family dinners are kind of our thing.  Some of our friends are more like our family and most of our family are our closest friends.  So, naturally, we eat together.  As part of my documentation of my life on this blog I've decided to add this feature, a foodie version of popular "what we wore" posts by some of my favorite bloggers.

What We Ate.  This week; "Country Dinner."

Husband uses the mortar and pestle to crush the garlic, and sautés my entire stash of green beans from the farmers market last week.
And he does this thing with balsamic and brussel sprouts that makes you want to eat ALL your veggies!
While all the veggies were being cooked, our friend Jaxon decided to make pumpkin pies from scratch so he scooped all the seeds out and baked them at 425 for about a half hour.
Once they cooled, he and Wayne, pureed them for the pie filling.
While everything bakes, is my favorite part, everyone gets a chance to hang out relax, Aunt Gretchen even taught Sonja to draw a turkey with her hand.
Finally, when everyone is really hungry, dinner is served...
Above: those brussel spouts with cauliflower, red onion, basil and balsamic.
organic chicken with honey, apple cider vinegar sauce.
mashed potatoes with butter and almond milk.
green beans and garlic.
Cheers {that organic lemonade and mango coconut tea}



After dinner we enjoyed that pie I alluded to earlier.  It deserves some explanation and more than just a photo.  Not only was it a pumpkin pie, it was a pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream.  And not just any whipped cream.  Whipped cream with a dash of coffee and baileys.  A Grown Up Pumpkin Spice Latte Pie, if you will...
And this was just a Sunday.  Wait until you see what we do for Thanksgiving. {wink}.
OH and Jaxon brought egg nog {which I'm not a huge fan of, however I'll drink anything once you add rum}.

And that's what we ate.
Hope this inspires you to create a meal from scratch {with only the best, organic, local and fresh ingredients} and share it with some people you love.  Happy Eating!
-Jenn





You can also follow along on TwitterPinterestFacebook, and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment