Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Paris {Part II: Christmas}

I can't belive it's already been almost a month since we were in Paris for Christmas.  I took a break from blogging while we traveled so I could really be *in* the moment, but I journaled and photographed every little memory I could.   Here's how our Christmas in Paris went...
The hotel we stayed in had a pretty white tree in the lobby which helped remind us it was actually Christmas, because nothing we did the whole day really felt like a holiday.  It was so nice to do what we wanted instead of rushing from family to family and stressing about our meals.
Our first stop was the Eiffel Tower since it's open everyday of the year, we decided to go there, when nothing else was open. Unfortunately, we weren't alone.  AND in order to save time in line, we opted for the cash only stair line.  Which meant climbing well over 600+ stairs to get up the tower.
Husband carried Vera on his back while Sonja walked most of the way, until Uncle Wayne offered to carry her.
The view.
It was so warm once we climbed all that way, we immediately took off all our jackets.

We tried to get a family photo but it didn't quite work.
After enjoying macaroons from a street market under the Eiffel we found a boat tour. 
 I highly suggest a boat tour in the evening,  we practically spent all day at the tower and this worked out perfectly.  I love the boat tour {departing from the base of the Eiffel Tower} because they tell you all the landmarks and it's so pretty to see everything lit up at night.
Notre Dame at night was my favorite.  It looks so spooky, with the clouds, I love it!
After our boat tour we headed towards the Champs-Élysées to see all the fancy stores and walk to the Arc de Triomphe
We were told by the hotel receptionist EVERYTHING would be close, because it was, "The day of!" 
She lied to us, THERE WAS A CHRISTMAS MARKET happening. We couldn't believe all the people and vendors! It was like being in Germany all over again, so much food and gluwine and THE BEST PART! We found Laduree's Open!  We didn't think we were going to get authentic macaroons because we waited until the last minute, but we were wrong!
We stocked up on so many flavors!
We also made it to the Arc!
and because I really, really wanted to and didn't last time, Husband stayed out with me to see Moulin Rouge just long enough for a photo.  And since we hadn't had dinner yet, he got a sandwich and Sonja and I got salads at the Starbucks across the street. I wish we could have afforded a babysitter and a show, because I'd LOVE to fully experience the Moulin Rouge.  Maybe next time?

And that was our Christmas.  I thought I'd be sad to miss out on the food and family for the holidays but I can not think of a better way to spend the day.  I think we started a new tradition of traveling for the holidays!  Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas too!  Now, if I can just catch up on all the other cities we went to! More posts coming soon!  What I packed, What we learned and Where we stayed along with the following cities; Geneva, Barcelona, Lucerne and Prague!







No comments:

Post a Comment