Tuesday, April 15, 2014

D.I.Y. Confetti Eggs! {Cascarones}

Recently, I was at a store and saw Confetti Eggs, which I thought was so cool! I also was like, no, I'm not going to buy those because I could make them! Then when I got home I googled them to get more information and found out they're called cascarones a Mexican festive egg for Easter.  You smash the egg on someone's head and the confetti comes out and they make a wish.  Super fun for the kiddos so my daughter and I made some.  This is a medium difficult activity for a toddler, but she did well following directions and was helpful for filling to confetti.  Here's how we made them...

Supplies:
Tissue Paper
Cracked and Cleaned Eggs 
Confetti or Rice {anything you want to fit inside}
Hole Puncher if you are making the confetti
White Glue
Sponge Brush or Paint Brush

Supplies.
I saved eggs for a week in a carton on the counter top {Husband LOVES when I do stuff like that}
I rinsed the eggs as soon as I broke them open and then at the end of the week after they were dried I toasted them in the toaster oven to kill and remaining risks of salmonella.
Sonja punched a bunch of confetti holes to fill the eggs with while I started prepping the eggs.
Once the eggs were done in the toaster I let them cool {careful they will be more fragile after they've cooked}
Tear up tissue paper into strips to wrap the cracks to reseal the egg.
Fill with confetti
put glue on the paper to wrap the egg after lining up the cracks 
YOU CAN PUT HUMPTY DUMPTY TOGETHER AGAIN! I totally should have read that to her as we made these!
Here is the finished egg.  Let dry in the carton checking infrequently to make sure it's not starting to stick to the carton as it dries.

Now some variations...
Someone bought this for Sonja last year, and while I would NEVER use dyes to dye hard boiled eggs I was going to eat, I thought this would be a good way to use up these dyes {p.s. don't judge the plastic, I HATE how holidays increase consumer waste with cheap plastic toys, but since I had them better to use them than trash them}
We let the eggs sit in the vinegar dye for a few minutes while we painted the other egg.
adding glitter glue to anything makes it festive.
while the painted one was drying I checked on the colored eggs.
once they were out and dried we decided to  switch to colored rice instead of confetti
fill and seal.
The whit tissue paper dries almost clear when one layer thick.
let the bonding strip dry completely {even overnight} before adding more tissue paper or paint or glitter glue/paint 
Of course this was one of Sonja's favorite parts.
contrasting colors of paint and tissue paper create some beautiful color schemes.
I think this one is my favorite!
And that's how we made cascarones.  Thanks for reading along, hope you are inspired to create some confetti eggs of your own using upcylced or recycled materials!  See previous egg upcyclcing tutorials here and sensory play here. Happy Spring!






1 comment:

  1. These are sooooo cool. I have gotta make some next year.

    ReplyDelete