Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cinco de Mexico {a Non-Schooling Playdate recap}

Well, I'm a few days late sharing this fun event, but we hosted our monthly non-schooling playdate at my home this month.  We traveled to Mexico in honor of Cinco de Mayo {which contrary to popular belief is not Mexico's independence day}.  Cinco de Mayo is a celebratory day for the battle between the French and Mexican Army on May 5, 1862.  Under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín, the Mexican Army defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla.  This did not win the war, but was a major boost in moral.  So to celebrate we made some Mexican food and enjoyed a backyard playdate with some snacks and crafts.
I molded this mini tortillas into cupcake pans to make little guacamole bowls.
Baked in the oven at 350* f for about 10 minutes.
I removed and allowed to cool and harden for about 20 minutes before serving.
Also, my favorite street food is elote. So I baked corn in their husks for about 40 minutes...
Here's a small sampling of our Mexican snacks, other families brought a few items too.
I made that salsa and guac. pictured as well.
One we were done eating and playing outside, we got to crafting.  We made Mexican Papel Picado Banners.  I showed the kids how to fold and cut tissue paper to create designs.
Then I cut a piece of ribbon/string and glued the folded papers over it to create the banner.
Make sure to glue the middle where the ribbon will go, place ribbon on fold, fold over and add a few drops of glue to the bottom corners of the paper to keep the paper folded over the string.
And then we ate Mexican popcicles.  It was a great way to start the month of May!  

Do you host play dates? non-schooling or home schooling meet ups?  I'd love to hear about it in the comments below.  






No comments:

Post a Comment