Monday, August 11, 2014

Food Club no. 17 {Flowerchild}


This month, August, we decided to have food club at Flowerchild a new-ish Fox Resturant in Phoenix.  Since so many of our members are traveling and/or busy with summer opportunities our group was super small this month.  So, we thought it would be a good chance to try somewhere not so fancy.  Flowerchild boasts of healthy menu with kombucha on tap! So we decided we would try it, even with it's mixed reviews.

 We got there around 7:30 and there were people but it wasn't crowded, and it was a Thursday evening so obviously that could be different than the weekend.  We had our choice of tables, but decided on the patio after ordering.  I think the best way to describe the ambiance is what pei wei is to P.F. Changs or Sauce is to North Italia, it's like a faster, barely cheaper version of True Foods.  They had a great healthy drink selection.  I opted for a boxed water and hibiscus tea with white peach and pom lemonade.  Their drinks are made with evaporated cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup, which you know I appreciate.
A peek at the drink station. {there were two sizes of drinks, I got the small and was able to refill it, so maybe the options are more for if you're getting food to go}
There was a bit of country chic to the decor, ball jars and painted soup cans with eclectic font numbers.
Most of us decided to get their Vegetable and Grains mix and match 3 items.
above: Broccoli and Parm., Gluten Free Mac and Cheese and Quinoa Tabbouleh
above: I got the Indian Spiced Cauliflower, GF Mac and Cheese, and the Beets, Avocado, Citrus.
above: I think this was the Thai Dye Wrap.
The Mac and Cheese was obviously a popular choice!
The four of us ladies {and Delmara's tiny new baby}


The Full Review {their menu here}:

Favorite Appetizer: This might be the only restaurant I've ever been to where I didn't order an appetizer.  But if I did I think it would have been the Avocado Hummus, I pretty much can't turn down avocado in any form, or recipe.

Favorite Entree: I love that this place has the menu options of choosing sides to create a meal, that's defiinitly my style of eating, I want a bite of everything, so a plate of variety is very fulfilling.  I think it depends on what type of foods you like for creating something for you, but the Mac and Cheese is not to be missed and again I love avocado so I was all about my avocado beets citrus side.

Favorite Drink: They have 3 seasonal teas and 3 lemonades, so arnold palmer for the win!  If I didn't already make kombucha I might have ordered that, but I also love that because they are to go cups I was able to refill my drink before leaving, and that my friends is one of my favorite things about ordering lemonade or tea drinks to go.

1-10 Service {0 worst, 10 best}: 7 it was more of a self service type place.  So, they didn't really do much, I guess that sounds harsh.  They were really nice taking my order {after I stood in line}, and they walked around and brought us our food, then took away the dirty plates when we were done, but we had to refill our own cups, and get our own silverware so it's not like I can really give them a 10, even though they didn't do anything "wrong" AND the guy did tell us he was about to close down the drink bar if we wanted to grab a drink before he closed everything up,  which was really cool and we totally appreciated the Last Call. 

Cost {$  $$  $$$  $$$$!}:  $$ it's like lunch portions with dinner pricing.  

Mistakes {corrections?}: None.

Reservations? Its too casual of a place to suggest reservations, although I could imagine them being busy enough to need them, I was surprised how busy they were for a Thursday evening.

Would we eat there again? Sure.  As my sister-in-law pointed out, it was the prefect pre-movie dinner date.  They're always in a hurry to grab healthy good food before a movie, and usually they just go to the food bar at whole foods, but this place was a lot cuter and really fast with the food.  



No comments:

Post a Comment