Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Bitches Food Club no. 21 {Southern Rail}

We had our food club monthly meet up this Sunday. I'd been wanting to check out this new shopping center at The Newton Phoenix.  They totally renovated the building and complex and it now houses the Changing Hands Bookstore, First Draft, and Southern Rail.  We went to Southern Rail for their Deep South Cuisine.
It's right off of Camelback which is a busy street, but on their patio enclosure it was calm and quiet.
Their menu was short and simple, complete with southern cocktails like NoLa Milk Punch and Creole Lemonade, but I opted for a mimosa.
Their Cafe Au Lait was another popular drink with the bitches, I think we all ordered one.  Some brunches I just need a warm full bodied coffee with a packet of raw sugar.
and a mimosa.
Megan got the creole lemonade and she said it was pretty good.  
It's like a long island, minus the tea add tequila.
I always have fun laughing with these ladies!
but things got serious when we had to pick an entree,
I always hate choosing between a sweet or savory dish because if I order sweet, I want savory after a few bites, but thankfully in this case my sister was there to share with, so while I ordered this delicious and decadent bread pudding french toast, I'm glad I didn't only order this, it would have been too sweet, it was like dessert but in acceptable breakfast format.  I would definitely order it again if I had someone to balance it out with, we also shared the fried green tomato eggs Benedict below...
"I had a cafe au lait & the fried green tomato Benedict. I LOVE both fried green tomatoes and eggs Benedict but I didn't love this dish. I thought the tomato jam was too sweet and the egg yolks were overcooked for Benedict. But I did love the coffee, patio, and atmosphere. And the bitches" -Macey Which is interesting because I Love both the tomatoes and Benedict but loved it even more with the semi sweet sauce, and my eggs were a bit less cooked than hers. and I would totally order this dish again.
Tammy ordered this on, "[I ordered the] Fried green tomato poboy- it was good but I still prefer the one from Welcome Diner. Fries were really good!" *sadly, after eating the fried green tomato sandwich at welcome diner, I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy a friend green sandwich from anywhere else {and they totally ruined me on donuts from anywhere besides welcome chicken + donuts too}.
"I had the hoe cakes and, though they were good and I *love* duck confit, I wont be going back just for them. On the plus-side: Loved the venue and choice of music." -Megan
We actually really enjoyed the ambiance, I mean we think we're funny.
That awkward moment when everyone else is looking at the camera except me.

The Full Review:
Favorite Appetizer: We didn't order one here, because brunch doesn't really have appetizers.

Favorite Entree: I know it had mixed reviews but I LOVED the Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict. Semi sweet sauce over savory eggs and tomatoes, with a side of greens.  It totally hit the spot.

Favorite Drink: Cafe au lait. while some of us ordered drinks and they were good, the Cafe au lait was the most popular drink at the table.

1-10 Service {0 worst, 10 best}: 9.  It was a good experience, no one doted on us, but we ordered and got our food within a reasonable time, we were seated promptly, I think there was a slight delay in ordering because of the few people who couldn't make it last minute but overall a good experience.

Cost {$  $$  $$$  $$$$!}: $$ maybe I just ordered less but it seemed like a smaller tab compared to my usual food club outings I think my total would have been around $25 that was a coffee, mimosa, french toast, tax and tip.  

Mistakes {corrections?}: none.

Reservations? Our Secretary, Stephanie called ahead and they were fine with our reservation of 12 turned 9.

Would we eat there again? Sure I'd like to come back with Husband and get his opinion, most of the time when we go out for food club is so I can gauge weather or not it's worth coming back on a date night {or day date}.


Where should we try next? we're always looking for new Phoenix or Scottsdale area Restaurants to try out!



No comments:

Post a Comment