Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween 2016!

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays.  I love the slightly cooler Fall weather and the creativity of costumes and Autumn projects.  As an a mom I thought it would be so fun to do family costumes and would plan elaborate costumes, but the day would come and go and I would scramble to get something together last minute.  And as the kids got older, and I actually considered making their costumes, they'd change their mind a million times and eventually I would just let them pick whatever Hissyfit's had in stock.  This works for us, the kids pick out whatever they can see and feel and be excited about in the moment.  I've abandoned the idea of family costumes - as Husband can't be bothered to participate in my silly ideas and the kids have a mind of their own.  Every year I promise myself I'm going to start the next year's costume in January but never do.  This year is no different.  This year, Sonja changed her mind at least three times, from a rainbow spider (which I was less than hours away from buying fabric for) to a ghost, to "something scary" to a vampire costume we found at Hissyfit's because I remembered that she changes her birthday party themes and costumes with the wind and the investment of making things only for her to change her mind is exhausting and then again after her dress snagged at school and our housemate gave her tiger ears.  Vera had at least three changes as well, in the end, she got excited about a flamenco dancer costume also at Hissyfit's and thanks to some store credit I actually got both for free.  Husband still didn't know what he was going to be just hours out from trick or treating on Halloween.  He remembered at the last minute we had a skeleton onesies he could wear - yes an adult sized onesie. I decided that I would go as a witch, not too much of a stretch from my daily wardrobe and just needed a hat - thanks to my mom for being a hoarder because one text message later and my witches hat was en route.  Maybe next year I'll have something epic or maybe not, it's still one of my favorite holidays no matter what we go as, or how good our costumes are.
 we tried using a soldering iron to carve Sonja's pumpkin this year so I could just trace what she dres, I like my wood block carving tools more.
 skeleton and candles alter
organic lollipops with vitamin c so I don't feel like I'm totally destroying kids immune systems.
These girls had a blast going around the block and watching semi-scary movies with us.


Did you celebrate? What did your family dress up as?!



No comments:

Post a Comment