Monday, May 14, 2018

Palo Verde Flower Essence.

Most of the flowers on my tree are gone, but if you're in the Phoenix area and you have a palo verde tree still blooming, did you know they're edible?
I kept thinking about how delicate the flowers were wondering if they were edible and thanks to technology I was able to google and find yes, in fact they are edible, you can add them to salads or candy them on cakes and cookies.  I however made a flower essence with them. 
There were quite a few tiny bugs in the flowers when I harvested them so I picked them from the tree left the jar out for about an hour and asked them all to leave, the few remaining ones trapped in the bottom were released after I picked all the flowers out of the jar one by one and placed them into a new jar sans bugs. 
After clearing the bugs off I topped with vodka to extract the flower essence, I covered with wax paper then sealed with the lid, I stored it in my cupboard for about a month and strained the flowers and was left with the essence.  I'm excited to integrate it into medicinal and spiritual cocktails.
What do you know about the plants growing in your front yard? are they edible?
I'd love to hear more if you know of other uses for palo verde flowers or bark.







No comments:

Post a Comment